This feature is available in the latest version of Upsales Subscriptions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get upgraded for free.
Imagine you signed a customer six months ago. They paid upfront for the agreed 12-month period. Now they want to add another three licences to their active subscription with you. This article will guide you through how to do so for different scenarios.
This article covers:
- How to add products or licences to an ongoing subscription, from today
- How to add products or licences to an ongoing subscription in the future
- Track historical changes in subscriptions
How to add products or licences to an ongoing subscription, from today
In this example the paid-for subscription runs for another six months.
So you want to ensure the customer pays for the three licences for the remaining six months.
You need to create a prorated order that covers the remaining period until next order is created:
- Add another three licences in the quantity field in the subscription (from 5 to 8):
- You'll see that the renewal order will increase in sum, and the subscription will lead you to the prorated order stage:
- If you have a subscription with planned changes, you'll be able to edit the current period and the renewal period at the same time:
- Once your edits are made, choose if you want to create a prorated order for three licences until the subscription's renewal date:
- The price increase for the upcoming period will be added to the next planned order. Unless the order hasn't already been created
- The prorated order for the coming six months will be created by the subscription. It will contain the increase of the subscription for the period until the next order or renewal date:
How to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription in the future
If you wish to add products or licences to an ongoing subscription in the future, you can plan a future change in the subscription:
Click the Plan future change button.
This will give you the option to select when the change should take effect: within an ongoing subscription period or on renewal:
To plan a change within the current subscription period, select the date when you want the change to take effect. Click Plan the change
- The subscription period divides into shorter periods based on your selected dates in step 3:
- Add the changes you want to the chosen date.
- If the subscription has already created an order for the period, you'll get a question if a prorated order should be created for the remaining period. It will contain the increase of the subscription until the next order date. If the subscription itself has a discount it will be mirrored in the prorated order as well.
Track historical changes in subscriptions
When opening up a subscription, you'll see a tab called History.
Click for an overview of all changes made in the subscription. This includes who made changes, and when the subscription will change.
You can exclude a change from reports and other ARR/MRR calculations by clicking the eye symbol: