This feature is available in the latest version of Upsales Subscriptions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get upgraded for free.
Imagine you signed a customer six months ago, and they paid upfront for the agreed 12-month period. Now they want to add another three licences to their active subscription with you. This article will guide you through how to do so for different scenarios.
This article covers:
- How to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription, from today
- How to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription in the future
- Track historical changes in subscriptions
How to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription, from today
Because the paid-for subscription in the description above runs for another six months, you want to ensure the customer pays for the three licences for the remaining six months. You need to create a prorated order that covers the remaining period until next order is created. This is how you do it:
- Add another three licences in the quantity field in the subscription (from 5 to 8).
- You'll see that the renewal order will increase in sum and that the subscription will lead you to the prorated order stage.
- If you have a subscription with planned changes, you'll be able to edit the current period and the renewal period at the same time:
- Once your edits are made, choose if you want to create a prorated order for three licences until the subscription's renewal date.
- The price increase for the upcoming period will be added to the next planned order, unless the order has not already been created.
- The prorated order for the coming six months, will be created by the subscription. It will contain the increase of the subscription for the period that is left to the next order date (renewal date in this case).
How to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription in the future
If you wish to add products or licenses to an ongoing subscription in the future, you can plan a future change in the subscription:
Press the Plan future change - button.
This will give you the option to select when the change should take effect: within an ongoing subscription period or on renewal.
To plan a change within the current subscription period, choose the date when you want the change to take effect and end and click Plan the change
- The subscription period will be divided into shorter periods following your selected dates for planned changes in step 3:
- Add the changes you want to take effect to the chosen date.
- If the subscription has already created an order for the period, you'll get a question if a prorated order should be created for the remaining period. It will contain the increase of the subscription until the next order date.
Track historical changes in subscriptions
When opening up a subscription, you'll see a tab called History.
Click for an overview of all changes made in the subscription. This includes who made changes, and when the subscription will change.
You can exclude a change from reports and other ARR/MRR calculations by clicking the eye symbol: