If you're running a business that offers subscription-based services or products, managing subscriptions can be a daunting task. Fortunately, with Upsales, you can automate the process and make it easier for you to manage subscriptions with changes.
Upsales Subscription add-on supports a range of subscription types, including discounted pricing, different products, and payment intervals over time. You can make changes to subscriptions at specific dates, giving you greater flexibility in managing your subscriptions.
In this article, we'll go over how to set up subscriptions with planned changes in Upsales.
- Plan a change in a subscription within the subscription period
- Plan a change in a subscription on renewal
Plan a change in a subscription within the subscription period
Begin by selecting the scheduling settings for the subscription that you want to set up including:
- the start date for the subscription
- the length of the subscription (this might be 12 months, 24 months, or other length)
- start date for orders (date when first order is created for)
- order interval (monthly, quarterly, yearly or other)
- notice period
Now, to plan a future change, press the Plan future change - button.
This will give you the option to select when the change should take effect: within an ongoing subscription period or on renewal.
To plan a change within the current subscription period, choose the date when you want the change to take effect and end and click Plan the change
- The subscription period will be divided into shorter periods following your selected dates for planned changes in step 4:
- If you have chosen dates for a change that are not aligned with your order interval (e.g. 2+3+7 months when you have order interval every twelve months), a clarifying box will appear to explain how Upsales will handle the orders.
- Make sure that the price for the products are the prices corresponding to the subscriptions order interval.
Example: A future change period that is 3 months when the order interval is every twelve months, should have a price for a full year on the product row. This, as the subscription itself will adjust the prices in orders according to the order interval.
Select the products or services that will be included in each period. If you are offering different products or services in each period, make sure to update the order content accordingly.
If you want to offer different pricing for each period, make sure to update the prices according to the chosen order interval of the subscription.
Review the preview graph to make sure that everything is set up correctly. This will show you how the subscription will create orders over time based on your subscription settings, including any changes in pricing or products.
Save your changes, and your subscription is now set up with changes on certain dates.
Plan a change in a subscription on renewal
- Repeat steps 1-3 above, but choose to plan a renewal period.
- A renewal period is added to the subscription that allows you to make adjustments to your subscriptions from renewal and forward.
- The start date will follow the end date of the previous period and is not editable.
- Select the order interval and duration for the renewal period.
- Select any additional products or services you want to add to the subscription and set the prices and payment terms for these items.
- Review the subscription details and make any necessary changes, then save the subscription.
With these steps, you can easily set up a subscription that changes on certain dates or on renewal, giving you the flexibility to adjust your payment schedules and offerings over time.