The Harvest-Upsales integration means you can automatically track time in Harvest against opportunities in Upsales. Once you finish the project, set the opportunity stage to 100% in Upsales and the Harvest project will be automatically marked as invoiced. If you’ve also connected a billing app through Upsales, the order will then be synced to that service.
Requires invoicing to be activated in your Harvest account
This article covers:
- Activating the Harvest App
- Defining the Harvest App settings
- Obtaining Your Harvest API key and account ID
- Completing the Harvest App settings
- Using the Harvest–Upsales integration
Activating the Harvest App
You need the role of Administrator to access the app directory and activate apps for your team.
- Click Settings → App Directory:
- Click Harvest
- On the Harvest screen, click Activate
Defining the Harvest App settings
Once you activate the app, the Harvest App Settings are displayed.
These settings connect Harvest to your Upsales account and define the defaults for the information connected through the integration.
Selecting a default user
When you track time in Harvest, it connects in Upsales as an opportunity. All opportunities created from tracked time are assigned to the same user in Upsales.
One option is to create a new Upsales user for opportunities created from tracked time. This simplifies viewing reports for opportunities from tracked time.
Selecting a default stage
Opportunities created from tracked time are shown on the Sales board, along with other opportunities. The stage options vary, depending on how you have configured your Sales board.
You can move automatically created opportunities from tracked time to another stage on the Sales board.
When you move opportunities to 100%/completed order, the project is marked as invoiced in Harvest and you will no longer be able to track time against that Harvest project.
Using the default Sales board layout? We recommend using Verbal Agreement as the default stage for your Harvest-created opportunities.
The user you define as the Default user will also be used by your connected invoicing service.
Selecting a default product
Time tracked in Harvest will be applied to one product in the opportunity created in Upsales.
Note that the pricing for the product is defined by the Project pricing you set in Harvest.
Obtaining Your Harvest API key and account ID
To connect your Harvest account to Upsales, complete the following steps:
- Go to https://id.getharvest.com/accounts.
- Select Developers.
- Select Create New Personal Access Token.
Completing the Harvest App settings
- Select a Default user from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will be assigned to this user.
- Select a Default Stage from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will be assigned to this stage to start. When you move an automatically generated opportunity to the Completed-order or 100% stage, the project will be marked as Invoice Paid in Harvest.
- Select the Default Product from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will have this product added. The pricing is determined by the price you set in the associated Harvest project.
- Copy the Personal Access Token that you generated in Harvest and paste it in the Harvest API-key field on the Harvest App Settings page in Upsales.
- Copy the Account ID displayed under your Harvest Personal Access Token and paste it in the Harvest Account ID field on the Harvest App Settings page in Upsales.
- Select Save.
Now you're ready to start using the integration.
Using the Harvest-Upsales integration
Now it's time to set up your clients and projects in Harvest, so they match in Upsales.
Setting Up Harvest Clients
Make sure the name of your client in Harvest matches the name of your company in Upsales.
For synced information, Upsales will attempt to match the clients defined in Harvest with your existing companies in Upsales. The Harvest Client ID will be added to the company record in Upsales.
If an exact match is not found, Upsales automatically creates a new company.
Setting Up Harvest Contacts
If a contact is assigned to the client in Harvest, Upsales tries to find the same contact in Upsales. This is based on the contact’s email address. That contact is added as a reference for the automatically generated opportunity.
- If the contact doesn't have an email in Harvest, Upsales will not import the contact
- If there are multiple contacts on the client record in Harvest, only one contact will be selected and added as a reference contact for the opportunity in Upsales. That's why we recommend only having one reference contact per company in Harvest
- If Upsales identifies a contact in Harvest that does not exist in Upsales, a new contact will be added in Upsales, based on the email address listed in Harvest.
Setting Up Harvest Projects
The Project Type and Project Fees you set up in Harvest are reflected as the Product pricing in Upsales.
In this example, the Harvest project was set as Time & Materials, with a Person Hourly Rate.
As the team tracks time:
- An opportunity is created.
- Each time tracking entry appears with any notes in the Notes area of the opportunity.
- The total time tracked for that project appears for the product in the Order row.