Track time in Harvest, manage and invoice with Upsales CRM
The Harvest-Upsales integration allows you to automatically sync time tracked against opportunities in Upsales. Once you finish the project, set the opportunity stage to 100% in Upsales and the Harvest project will be automatically marked as invoiced. If you’ve also connected a billing app through Upsales, the order will then be synced to that service.
Prerequisite: You must have invoicing activated in your Harvest account.
This article explains the process the administrator uses to connect Harvest with Upsales and define the default settings for the integration. It also provides additional information on the Harvest-Upsales workflow.
This article will cover:
- Activating the Harvest App
- Defining the Harvest App Settings
- Obtaining Your Harvest API-key and Account ID
- Completing the Harvest App Settings
- Using the Harvest - Upsales Integration
Activating the Harvest App
You’ll need to have the role of administrator to access the app directory and activate apps for your team.
To activate the Harvest app, complete the following steps:
- Select the Settings icon in the upper right corner of your Upsales screen.
- Select Apps.
- From the Apps screen, select Harvest.
- On the Harvest screen, select Activate.
Defining the Harvest App Settings
Once you activate the app, the Harvest App Settings are displayed. These settings connect Harvest to your Upsales account and define the defaults for the information connected through the integration.
Selecting a Default User
When you track time in Harvest, it will be connected in Upsales as an opportunity. All opportunities created from tracked time are assigned to the same user in Upsales.
One possibility is to create a new Upsales user for opportunities created from tracked time. This will simplify viewing reports for opportunities from tracked time.
Selecting a Default Stage
Opportunities created from tracked time are shown on the Sales board, along with other opportunities. The stage options will depend on how you have configured your Sales board.
You can move automatically created opportunities from tracked time to another stage on the Sales board. Note that when you move these opportunities to 100%, or a completed order, the project is marked as invoiced in Harvest and you will no longer be able to track time against that Harvest project.
If you are using the default Sales board layout, we recommend using Verbal Agreement as the default stage for your Harvest-created opportunities.
The user you define as the Default user will also be used by your connected invoicing service.
Selecting a Default Product
Time tracked in Harvest will be applied to one product on the opportunities that are created in Upsales.
Note that the pricing for the product is defined by the Project pricing you set in Harvest.
Obtaining Your Harvest API-key and Account ID
To connect your Harvest account to Upsales, complete the following steps:
- Go to https://id.getharvest.com/accounts.
- Select Developers.
- Select Create New Personal Access Token.
Completing the Harvest App Settings
To define the Harvest App defaults, complete the following steps on the Harvest App Settings page in Upsales:
- Select a Default user from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will be assigned to this user.
- Select a Default Stage from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will be assigned to this stage to start. When you move an automatically generated opportunity to the Completed-order or 100% stage, the project will be marked as Invoice Paid in Harvest.
- Select the Default Product from the drop-down list. All automatically generated opportunities will have this product added. The pricing is determined by the price you set in the associated Harvest project.
- Copy the Personal Access Token that you generated in Harvest and paste it in the Harvest API-key field on the Harvest App Settings page in Upsales.
- Copy the Account ID displayed under your Harvest Personal Access Token and paste it in the Harvest Account ID field on the Harvest App Settings page in Upsales.
- Select Save.
Now you are ready to start using your Harvest - Upsales integration.
Using the Harvest - Upsales Integration
Once you have activated the Harvest app in Upsales and defined your default settings, it’s important to set up your clients and projects in Harvest so that they will match in Upsales.
Setting Up Harvest Clients
It’s important to make sure the name of your client in Harvest exactly matches the name of your company in Upsales.
For synced information, Upsales will attempt to match the clients defined in Harvest with your existing companies in Upsales and will add the Harvest Client ID to the company record in Upsales.
If an exact match is not found, Upsales will automatically create a new company.
Setting Up Harvest Contacts
If a contact is assigned to the client in Harvest, Upsales tries to find the same contact in Upsales, based on the contact’s email address. That contact is added as a reference for the automatically generated opportunity.
- If the contact does not have an email in Harvest, Upsales will not import the contact.
- If there are multiple contacts on the client record in Harvest, only one contact will be selected and added as a reference contact for the opportunity in Upsales. We recommend only having one reference contact per company in Harvest.
- If Upsales identifies a contact in Harvest that does not exist in Upsales, a new contact will be added in Upsales, based on the email address listed in Harvest.
Setting Up Harvest Projects
The Project Type and Project Fees you set up in Harvest are reflected as the Product pricing in Upsales.
In this example, the Harvest project was set as Time & Materials, with a Person Hourly Rate.
As the team tracks time:
- An opportunity is created.
- Each time tracking entry appears with any notes in the Notes area of the opportunity.
- The total time tracked for that project appears for the product in the Order row.