This is the first time a contact came in contact with your brand, and specifically how they did it. It's done by using tracked links (UTM standard) that tell Upsales where the link was clicked.
This means you can see which channels drive conversion so you can focus your marketing efforts on the most popular sources.
As an example, a common First Touch is from organic- or paid searches on search engines like Google. When you create your sponsored ads for Google the link added to those should be a tracked link using the UTM standard. Upsales will then register this and show it inside Upsales.
To get the most out of First Touch, use Upsales Insights and the First Touch Dashboard to get analytics and reports of your digital touchpoints.
This article covers:
- First Touch Channels
- Accessing the First Touch Dashboard
- Accessing First Touch on the Contact Card
First Touch Channels
First Touch is the first registered touchpoint for any contact. It shows where your contacts originated. Upsales tracks the following first touch types:
- Organic search: Visits from search engines (like Google, Yahoo, etc.)
- Referrals: Visits from other websites.
- Social media: Visits from social media sites (like Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Paid search: Visits from pay-per-click ads.
- Paid social: Visits from paid social ads campaigns. (like advertising on Linkedin, Facebook, etc.)
- Direct traffic: Visits from users reaching your site by directly typing in a URL.
- Other campaigns: UTM lead source that doesn't fit any of the above channels
You can view this data both in the aggregated form on the ANALYTICS dashboard and individually on a contact card in Upsales.
How to compose your UTM-tracked links
Merging two contacts with First Touch attributes
Let's say you have two contacts inside of Upsales and you'd like to merge these into one. They both have a registered First Touch. The earliest first touch will then be added to the contact you decide to keep.
The first Touch attribution dashboard
First Touch attribution is an analytic report that lets you see where the first interaction with contacts in the Upsales database took place. This means you can see which channels drive conversion, so you can focus your marketing efforts on the most popular sources.
Accessing the First Touch Dashboard
The First Touch Dashboard gives you an overview of the efficacy of your marketing campaigns, displaying data on your most popular touchpoints. It allows you to identify strengths and weaknesses in your marketing efforts, and to see which channels actually drive conversion.
To access the First Touch Dashboard, follow these steps:
- Click the ANALYTICS tab → Upsales Insights sub-tab.
- Click the First touch attribution link.
Filtering attribution based on time periods
To filter the data based on dates, follow these steps:
- Click the Filters drop-down.
- Select the desired criteria:
- Optional: To add multiple time range criteria,
Click the + button.
- Click the Run button.
First touch attribution overview
The First touch attribution window allows you to review the number of contacts that have been acquired based on each type of marketing effort and how they have progressed through the sales journey.
The table displays raw data describing exactly how many contacts registered through each touchpoint, and where they are in the sales journey during the time period selected from the filter.
- First touch type column: Shows how many contacts registered with each first touch source, or marketing effort.
- Journey columns: (Disqualified, Lost, ...Total) Shows the number of contacts that registered with each first touch type and where they are in the sales journey now.
"Out of all sales, how much was generated from each first touch type?" The graph is a visual display of aggregated data and the percentage of sales each touch type generated. This gives you a quick understanding of which marketing efforts are most effective.
Accessing First Touch on the Contact Card
Because opportunities and sales start with an individual contact, it is important to view that contact's sales journey, where the journey started, and how it progresses.
To access First touch analytics on a contact card, follow these steps:
- Click the SALES & CRM tab → Companies & contacts sub-tab.
- Click the Contacts button.
- Click a contact link.
- Locate the First touch on the bottom left banner.
Note: The First Touch will only be available if there has been a registered first touchpoint such as a website visit or campaign interaction.
- The First touch displays the:
- Campaign name
- Registered date