Xero is an all-in-one accounting software designed to make life easier for small businesses. Work seamlessly with your orders and invoices in Upsales together with Xero.
With the Xero app, you automatically convert sales in Upsales into invoices in Xero. It's easy to get started and simple to use.
Who should use the Xero standard app?
If you have a sales organization working with Upsales and use Xero to manage your accounting, you won't have to spend time creating invoices for each new sale. That's because the app automatically creates an invoice in Xero when your sales rep has closed a deal in Upsales.
If you're new to Upsales and already have customers, products, and invoices in Xero, you'll be ready to get selling much quicker. That's because we import all that data into Upsales when you activate the app.
This article covers:
- Before activating the Xero app
- How to activate (step by step)
- How to use the Xero app
- What will be imported to Upsales during the initial data import?
- What will be imported to Xero when an order is created in Upsales?
- What happens when I update an order in Upsales?
- What happens when I create an invoice or quote in Xero?
The 4 steps below are crucial to avoid the risk of duplicates appearing in your Upsales account. Always complete them before activating the app.
1. Deactivate products in Upsales
Deactivate products in Upsales that you already have in Xero. If not, we will create duplicates when importing them to Upsales during app initialisation.
2. Remove unused companies in Upsales that exist as contacts in Xero
Already got lots of company data in Upsales? The app might generate duplicates during initialisation as it imports contacts from Xero. This is not a problem. You can merge duplicates in Upsales using the duplicate merge tool after app setup.
3. Add item codes to invoices in Xero
When activating the Xero App we import your invoices from the past year into Upsales. If you have orders in Xero without item codes, these get imported to a product in Upsales called "Xero product without item code". The description will be imported into the field called "Xero description". Want your order statistics to be up-to-date? Make sure all order rows in Xero have an item code before activating the app.
4. You need to be a system administrator in Upsales to be able to set up the app
How to activate Xero app
- Click Settings>App directory:
- Click Xero in the Apps list:
- On the next screen, click Activate:
- Select Accept terms to continue.
- Connect your Xero account by clicking on the “Click to connect” button:
- Select the Xero organisation you want to use. Then press the button Allow access:
- Select your Organisation in Xero:
- From the dropdown menu, select the order stage you want to trigger the invoice creation from Upsales to Xero. Usually this is 100%.
- Select a default user to be assigned to all imported orders from Xero.
- Select the invoice stage in Upsales that should export the order to Xero. Usually this is "Completed 100%":
- Save - Your app will now initialise.
App initialisation will import companies, orders, products, and currencies from Xero to Upsales. During the import you can still use Upsales.
How to use the Xero app
Create order in Upsales
Update order stages on the sales board, with columns from Fallback to Won (left to right)
- In a configured stage
- Doesn't have a negative value
- Has a currency that exists in Xero
Status on the order card
Status in the list view
Want to edit the order by adding a price or company address? Do this in Upsales. After updating, save the order in Upsales again. This triggers updates to apply to the invoice in Xero.
- The order is in a configured stage
- The order doesn't have a negative value
- The order has a currency that exists in Xero
- The corresponding Xero invoice is not Authorized or Paid
Authorise & Pay invoice in Xero
What will be imported to Upsales during the initial data import?
Xero items imported as Upsales products
|Xero item ID||Custom field: Xero product ID|
|Xero item name||Product name|
|Item sales price||Price|
|Item purchase price||Purchased at cost|
|Xero item code||
Xero contacts will be imported as Upsales Companies
|Contact Name||Company name|
|Xero Contact ID||Custom field: Xero Contact ID|
|Phone/Mobile (Phone is default)||Phone|
|Postal/Street Address||Postal/Visit Address|
|Postal/Street Postcode||Postal/Visit Postcode|
|Postal/Street City||Postal/Visit City|
|Postal/Street State||Postal/Visit State|
Xero invoices will be imported as Upsales orders
|Invoice ID||Custom field: Xero invoice ID|
Xero Line Items will be imported as Upsales Order Rows
Xero line item
Upsales order row
What will be imported to Xero when an order is created in Upsales?
When an order has been created in Upsales an invoice will be created in Xero. This contains the Upsales product, company, order, and order row.
Each Upsales field listed in the left column below will be imported to Xero as described in the right column below
Upsales products will be imported as Xero ptems
|Product name||Xero item name|
|Price||Item sales price|
|Purchased at cost||Item purchase price|
|Xero item code|
Upsales companies will be imported as Xero contacts
|Company name||Contact Name|
|Phone||Phone/Mobile (Phone is default)|
|Postal/Visit Address||Postal/Street Address|
|Postal/Visit Postcode||Postal/Street Postcode|
|Postal/Visit City||Postal/Street City|
|Postal/Visit State||Postal/Street State|
Upsales orders will be imported as Xero invoices
|ACCREC (default)||Invoice type|
Upsales order rows will be imported as Xero line items
Upsales order row
Xero line item
What will be imported to Xero when an order is updated in Upsales?
An order in the configured stage will update the following fields in Xero:
- Order + order row
What happens when invoices or quotes are created in Xero
No data is imported into Upsales. A two-way update of your data will soon be available with the Xero Premium app.
When an invoice is created in Xero. What happens in Upsales?
- Nothing. Xero Standard app does not import invoices or quotes from Xero to Upsales.
I create an order in Upsales with a new currency. Will an invoice be created in Xero?
- No. First, you need to add the new currency in Xero. Then you can create an order in Upsales with the new currency.
I create an order in Upsales with a new product. Will an invoice be created in Xero?
I need to update the Item Code on my products in Xero. Where should I do that?
- Update them in Upsales by changing the Upsales article number. If you change the Item code in Xero, Upsales will overwrite the item code with the article number from Upsales.
The changes only take effect in Xero after an order with the updated article number has been created or updated in Upsales.
I need to update the Contact in Xero. Where should I do that?
- In Upsales. If you update the company in Xero, Upsales will overwrite the contact in Xero with the Company information from Upsales. Changes only take effect in Xero after an order with the updated company has been created or updated in Upsales.
When I change the address of a Company in Upsales, will the Contact in Xero also be updated?
- No. Only when you have created a new order or re-saved an existing order in Upsales containing the updated Company will the changes take effect in Xero.
Why do I receive this error when I create an order on a new company in Upsales?
"The contact name Upsales Nordic AB is already assigned to another contact. The contact name must be unique across all active contacts."
- Upsales Nordic AB already exists on Xero. However, in Upsales it does not have a Xero_Id. Add a Xero_Contact_Id to the existing company on Upsales.
The company/order in Upsales has Xero_id/invoice number but still can’t be synced to Xero
- Please go to app settings and see which tenant you are connected to. The entity you're trying to sync/update should belong to the connected Tenant in Xero.