Planning to import data? Here's everything you need to know.
This article covers:
- How to prepare data for import
- Types of data imports
- How to minimise duplicates
- How to get notified when an import is completed
- How to import checkbox data
- How to import dates
- How to overwrite existing data
- How to import country codes
How to prepare data for import
- Click Account → Data management → Import data
- Click to import companies and contacts, or products:
- You can use the downloadable import template (.xls). This is localised to either your default language in Upsales or English:
- Enter or copy/paste your information into the template. You only need to complete the columns with information you are actually importing (delete the unused columns)
- If Upsales doesn't have the field you want to import, create a custom field
- Upload the file
- You now have a choice between Update or Create & update:
Update is for existing companies, contacts, or products. No new companies, contacts, or products will be created
Create & update is for when you want to create new or update existing companies, contacts, or products
- Click Connect columns:
- You can now match your file's data with Upsales fields. Click the dropdown under Import to field in CRM:
- You can now choose the field:
Types of data imports
When you want to:
Add all of the contacts in the imported data to a campaignSelect the Campaign from the Add contacts to campaign list.
Add all of the contacts in the imported data to a categorySelect the Category from the Add contacts to category list.
Mark all of the contacts in the imported data with a manual opt-inSelect the item from the Add contacts to manual opt-in list.
Assign all of the companies in the imported data to an account managerSelect the user from the Set as account manager list. Mark whether to Add the user as account manager or Set as sole account manager. You can mark this Only for new companies, so account managers for existing companies won't be changed during import.
Add all of the companies in the imported data to a campaignSelect the Campaign from the Add company to campaign list.
Add all of the companies in the imported data to a categorySelect the Category from the Add company to category list.
Choose what to do when Upsales encounters more than one matchYou'll be asked to Select Create new or Skip row (the recommended option to avoid creating duplicates)
How to minimise duplicates
To avoid potential duplication, import an ID alongside other fields such as names.
You can also tell Upsales which fields to update (instead of creating a duplicate):
If duplicates are found, Upsales gives you the option to skip it from your import file or make a duplicate (which can cause problems with your data).
After this click Review;
This gives you a summary of your planned import:
If the import isn't 100%, you can go back and import a new file, or click Start import:
How to get notified when an import is completed
Get notified when an import is completedYou can be emailed a status report when your import is completed. Add extra email addresses or remove yours if you wish.
How to import checkbox data
If you want to import checkbox data, the cells in the import file must be marked as on or off (in lower case) for checked/unchecked boxes.
How to import dates
Dates need to imported as raw text. Here's how:
- Copy the whole date column from your spreadsheet file.
- Paste the information into a raw text program such as Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac)
- Create a new column in your spreadsheet and select the Text format for that column.
- Copy all of the information in your text file.
- Paste the information into the new date column.
- Delete the previous date column, or rename it to make sure you choose the right column when importing the file.
How to overwrite imported data
You can also use the import process to update existing company and contact data in Upsales. An empty cell in your spreadsheet won't overwrite empty or populated fields in Upsales.
How to import country codes
When importing country data, use a two-letter country code (based on Alpha-2 code).