If your companies and contacts data lives in another system, you should be able to export it to a spreadsheet. You can upload an Excel spreadsheet file in .xls, .xlsx or .csv format.
You don’t need to put the information in any particular order, as you’ll be mapping the columns from your spreadsheet to the Upsales fields.
You can also collect your data using our Import template.
To use the import template, complete the following steps:
- On the Import Data screen, select Download - Import template.
- Locate the template with your downloads.
- Enter or copy/paste your information into the template. You only need to complete the columns with information you are actually importing (you can delete the unused columns).
You can import data into all Upsales fields related to companies and contacts. Use a two-letter country code for country. For example, to use Sweden as the country, type SE. To view all country codes, you can read more here (use Alpha-2 code).
If the import template does not include something you want to import, you can create a new column in the spreadsheet. If there is not a field in Upsales for the information you want, you can create a custom field.
Importing Checkbox Data
If you want to import checkbox data, the cells in the import file must be marked as on or off (in lower case) for checked/unchecked boxes.
Importing Date Data
When importing dates to Upsales, you will need to prepare the data so that it will import properly. Dates will not import properly if they are formatted as dates; they must be formatted as text only.
To make sure that dates are in the proper format for import, complete the following steps:
- Copy the whole date column from your spreadsheet file.
- Paste the information into Notepad (or another raw text program on your computer).
- Create a new column in your spreadsheet and select the Text format for that column.
- Copy all of the information in your Notepad file.
- Paste the information into the new date column.
- Delete the previous date column, or rename it to make sure you choose the right column when importing the file.
In order to avoid importing duplicate records, we suggest that for Companies, you use the Org number with the zip code, or a unique customer number that you’ve assigned to make sure that you don’t end up with multiple records of the same company. For contacts, we suggest you use the contact’s email to uniquely identify each contact.
Overwriting Imported Data
You can also use the import process to update existing company and contact data in Upsales. However, if you re-import a contact or company that includes an empty cell, it will overwrite existing Upsales information with the blank. Therefore, avoid empty cells in the spreadsheet you are importing. You can delete empty columns from the spreadsheet instead.