How to create and preview subscriptions
You need the add-on Subscription and an admin needs to create the products on the Products settings page.
- Click + → Subscription at the top left of Upsales:
- This opens the detail page in the create subscription view:
- Fill in the company the subscription should be created for, the contact on the company, the user from your company that should be responsible for the subscription, the order stage you want the subscription orders to be added to, the campaign the subscription and orders should be added to and potential custom fields your admin has configured
Adjustable subscription scheduling with default and advanced template
|Scheduling setting||Explanation||Default template||Advanced template|
|Subscription start date||The start date for the subscription and when ARR/MRR should start counting from||✅||✅|
|Subscription length||The length of the subscription||Default||✅|
|Order start date||This determines when the first order’s start is||Default||✅|
|Order interval||This determines with what interval the orders should be created. The dates for the orders follow the first order’s date||Default||✅|
|Orders in advance
This determines how far in advance the order should be created.
I.e. an order for the period October 1-31 is created 30 days in advance = September 1st.
Displays how far ahead of the renewal date a customer must give notice of a cancellation
The date when the subscription will be renewed and the subscription will start a new period
The day the customer no longer have access to the products in the subscription
Create a subscription with default template
An admin can set up templates for your most common subscription types (feature being developed as of October, 2022. Learn more). Using a predefined template only allows you to edit specific fields in the subscription scheduling. Read more about adjusting the default subscription template here.
How to create subscriptions with the default template
Choose when the subscription should take effect from. The order period will start the same day.
- Order interval, when orders will be created, subscription length and notice period will be fetched from the default settings your admin has determined.
- Choose if the subscription should be automatically renewed or terminated after the subscription term has passed.
- Add products to the subscription under order contents. When using the ARR or MRR model only subscription products are listed. This setting is made in product settings.
- The preview graph will expand that shows how your subscription settings will be realised in orders.
- Fill in potential required fields in order rows or under order fields and press Save subscription:
Create a subscription with advanced template
When you need to set up a subscription that doesn’t follow your standard subscription, you should use the advanced template for your subscription scheduling.
How to use the advanced template to adjust the terms
- If you want to adjust e.g. the subscription length, the order interval or the notice period, choose the Advanced template under Scheduling on the Summary-page.
- You can then adjust the subscription to start, renew or terminate at your choice, in addition to start creating orders at the time you choose and with a given interval.
- When your scheduling is set, add products to the subscription under order contents.
When using the ARR or MRR model only subscription products are listed. This setting is made in product settings.
- The preview graph will show how your subscription settings will be realised in orders.
- Fill in the potential required fields in order rows or under order fields and press Save subscription
How to use the advanced template to create subscriptions with planned changes
To set up subscriptions to support these situations, you’ll have to split the subscription into different periods.
- Choose Advanced scheduling template for your subscription
- Click on the Split the subscription button:
- The subscription will create a split with a current and upcoming period that can be adjusted separately:
At the top, choose when the subscription should take effect from, and when the order period should start.
For the current period (the first period of the subscription), adjust the length of the period, the order interval and when orders should be created.
Add the products and potential discounts to the orders in the period.
If you have further need to split the current period (e.g. divide a 12-month current period into 3 months discount and 9 months full price) you can add additional splits into the current period. How to set up complex subscription cases
- Make the same settings for the upcoming period and select whether that period should be automatically renewed or terminated after the end of the period. You can also add a notice period to the subscription in the upcoming period.
- Use the preview graph to ensure your subscription is correctly added: